1.19.2009

Homesickness and Sickness in General

I was pretty homesick a couple days ago - the fated first time. I'm not really sure what happened, but I think it was all the italian men, those crazy italian men. Sure, it's nice to be checked out everywhere you go, nice to hear "che bella" "troppo bella" "hi, baby," or just to see them stop in their tracks to look you up and down while they're walking with their friends. I think my favorite was yesterday when Beth and I were walking. We walked by two older (30-something) italian men who looked at us as we were coming towards them and looked at eachother, shrugged their shoulders and nodded. I could see the thought process and I guess we passed the test, but they seemed picky about it - victory!
Anyway, American boys don't do that, that's for sure. You go to any college guys apartment and there's a picture of a skinny, tan, naked woman who is holding a bottle of alcohol, dressed in some ridiculous outfit...I've come to accept that it's normal, but it really does bother me - no wonder there are so many people with eating disorders in the US (yes, college boys, it's all your fault). Here, they seem to be more appreciative of everyday beauty, which is really nice, but I was missing being able to trust people. It's remarkably easy to pick up a boy at a club, especially if you speak Italian - they're really impressed with that these days. It is not, however, easy to find a guy you can trust here, and I really miss my good guy friends back home. I actually just generally miss everyone...
Beth and I had a fantastic afternoon yesterday, which cured the majority of my homesickness. We got up late, when to the BEST sandwich place I've been to so far (I Due Fratellini), only to find it was closed. So we went to Coronas Cafe' instead, which was pretty good. Then we spent a while roaming around trying to find a good gelato place. We finally stopped in the San Lorenzo market to see our favorite old man (he looks exactly like the cliche' old italian man) who has been to Richmond (!!!) before, and asked him for directions. I think he mistook us for Italians, which is always a nice feeling, and doesn't happen very often if I wear my Ugg boots around.
During Orientation they told us to find something that cures homesickness, for example, the woman who was talking goes to Ponte Vecchio and has a cup of coffee. I think mine will be going to the sandwich place (it's just that delicious) or going inside Santa Maria Del Fiore, two places it's pretty impossible to feel sorry for yourself.
Today though, don't freak out Mom, I'm going to the doctor because I'm pretty sure I have strep throat. I haven't been to class today but they'll write me a note saying I have a valid reason. It's pretty miserable, especially being in Florence because there's so many other things I could be doing than staying home with a sore throat. I made myself some tea, have the address of the doctor, and I'll go in an hour or so. I'll make sure to keep you updated on how it goes. In the meantime, I'll post my favorite pictures from a couple days ago...






Sending my love...

No comments: